Friday, January 19, 2018

When Stories and Pictures Become Reality- The Adventures of Africa

Tuesday- January 16, 2018:

God is hitting me bard with a lot and I'm sure He will continue to do so. Today I am thinking back to all the lessons on Africa and poverty we had and how those lecturing me about Africa were so wrong. Africa is more than a large desert with a water shortage and elephamts. Its more than lions, zebras, and elephants. And it's definitely more than many of the names and labels it is given. Yes Africa is filled with poverty, but I'm pretty sure if you were in the same position that is not how you would want to be known. So let's look at the beauty of this amazing land. In Africa you will see some of the coolest animals- not in a zoo, and experience not only desert, but also mountains. There are warm days filled with low humidity. While the scenery is beautiful, the weather gorgeous, and the driving terrifying, the people are really what makes me fall in love with this land a little  more everyday. They always welcome anyone and everyone with open hearts and open arms. They love unconditionally and care just as deeply. Though in pain, they see yours and help you. They give what they have, even if its only a single chipatii. They work hard with out a single complaint. They are never on time (perfect for me). They have the most beautiful smiles and the best stories. They are genuine. I could continue, but I can not fully describe how incredible these children of God are. Sorry mom but I dont want to leave.
Africa is nothing like I was taught. It was so underappreciated.

Today we went on our first home visit, which is where a sponsor gets to meet and see the living area of their sponsored child. Our visit today was a little over an hour away in Nandi Hills. This meeting and ceremony left me wrapped in the love and faithfulness of my savior and not a single dry eye. The ceremony begins by first meeting the family. They sponsor then washes the feet of the child and their parents as a leader reads  passage from John. It is truly a humbling and touching moment. Once the feet are washed, the family receives a bag filled with groceries. This visit was so moving. I saw the slums of the towns. I saw a family trying its very best to provide and survive and its as if all the odds were stacked against them. Poverty is a wicked beast, but the greed that creates it is even worse.
After the house visit we headed down the mountain where we stopped at a public school. tattered uniforms, uneven broken ground, run down buildings, old curriculum, broke desks, big smiles, and lots of love are some of the sights I saw at the public school. My heart once again broke, knowing that if these kids aren't sponsored they won't receive an education passed 8th grade and the education they are receiving is not good..
After the school we went to a tea farm and had a tour of both the field and the factory. SO COOl. After that we stopped for a quick bite to eat and went back to the hotel. Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day as we have the village clinic. We were originally told to expect like 300, but now it's more like 700. We are praying for God's wisdom, strength, love, joy and glory through this day!

Wednesday- January 17, 2018:

Woah. Between Monday and today we saw over 420 patients. It was so cool to be able to see miracles  and interact with the villagers. Most of them only spoke Swahili and a few spoke so broken English. Today was incredible. I bounced between vitals and wound care again today, but I also had the opportunity to sit in on evaluations with a Kenyan doctor and I was blown away. Being a comforting presence while I was taking vitals or bandaging wounds was really great and I know God uses me in some way through that, but being able to watch the diagnostic process was so cool! The Physician I sat it on would get all the information from the patient and then translate back to me what they said and then he would tell me what he thought the diagnosis was and the treatments for it. He often asked, “you agree yes?” “Yeah of course!” Yeah I actually was clueless on some.. a lot of the process, especially since they treat things differently here. I was also saddened by many things I saw and heard. I watched the diagnosis process of diseases that are rare or even unheard of in the US, like Typhoid, tuberculosis, and hepatitis. Diseases that you hear are an issue and affecting many, but it’s not you or anyone you know so it’s not an issue right? Wrong- these are real life illnesses many in third world countries are beings diagnosed with every day and there are those who are losing their fight every day as well. These people are sick and need help, but they have no means to the help they need. It’s very very sad but it was a privilege to serve them today. Even if our clinic was in the middle of a field and not the most sterile environment on a hot day, God moves mountains and did cool things. He is so good.

Thursday-January 18, 2018:


It’s Thursday already?! We’re almost half way through with our trip?! I’m already a little sad and dreading leaving this amazing place that I have come to love so very much. God willing I will return very soon.
Today was off to a rough start- we were to leave the hotel at 8:30 (Kenyan time), which meant 9, but left more around 12:30. One of our team members( a very sweet mom who we all adore) had her babe stolen at breakfast. After searching all the grounds and reviewing the tape, they knew who stole it and had the license plate number and they will hopefully track them down. Andy (the mom) handled this situation with such grace and was just so thankful we were all okay. We also had a couple other members get sick, we think it was just because all of the food and newness, but let’s pray it passes quickly and everyone stays healthy and happy.
When we left the hotel we headed to the government office where we met the governor and head of the health department, to talk about the clinic we did yesterday. It was a little strange but kinda cool at the same time. After the meeting we went to Java- a restraint and coffee shop where we had some more “American” food and ESPRESSO! Yayay!  I love coffee and have missed it!
When we finished up at Java we headed to the rescue center. A place for children who are addicted to huffing glue and really anything. It’s also a place of refuge for kids who have been abused, ran away, and even a couple who have been shunned do to an illness. Someone needs to buy me some tape, because this place shattered my heart.. I don’t think I have ever felt so broken in my life. These kids. I.. I can’t explain the hopelessness I saw in there eyes, because they know that after the center, they have nothing and no one to return to. They do not have a school and so many of them will never be able to go to school and even if they did, many would not have the scores to continue on to higher education. They were so timid. You could tell they’ve had it rough. They have seen and felt things many of us could not imagine. They’ve been hurt and they are scared to let love in. I found a little boy who stole my heart. I haven’t stopped thinking about him since I left. He spoke not English and little Swahili. I knew little about him except that his name was Edwin Kipchoonga. He took some convincing but once he decided I was okay, he latched on to me. I taught him a form of patty cake, gave him lots of hugs, and of course had a tickle war. Oh wow did he steal a big piece of my heart. Saying goodbye and leaving him.. my heart shattered and shattered again. This place was so run down, but had so much potential if they had the funds. Many of the children have no beds, wear the same clothes day after day, and have not schedule. If you want to know more please feel free to ask, but because this has come near to my heart, this is all that I will publicly share.
When we left the rescue center, we had another home visit. So very touching again. This young boy, Walter, was being raised by his grandma. I think the most heart warming part was, she made us all chai tea. She told us her cow was dry and only gave her a cup and a half of milk so she prayed God would bless it and make it enough. She spent 50 shillings to buy tea leaves and she used the last of her sugar to make it. God blessed her tea- it was enough for all 13 of us that were there and extra for her neighbors. She told us many stories and showed extreme gratitude. She had almost nothing, but gave what she had to make us feel so welcome. Today was an adventure that’s for sure!! I also got to sit in on a class at St. Jacobs. Those kids are so smart and so well behaved!! Seriously, the teacher could leave the classroom and the student teaching would continue and they would remain attentive the entire time. They respect and value their education so much. I just love them all so dearly! They have stolen my heart.
Today wa crazy but I am really enjoying getting to know everyone on the team! Dinner was filled with lots of great conversation and I am blessed to be apart of this incredible team. 
Tomorrow we are head to a waterfall and other adventures I will write about later!


Prayer Requests:
  • Safety- always a good precaution
  • Health- we are all feeling worn and a little under the weather
  • Hearts- my is growing and God is working. Pray He continues to work in me/my life and teach me many lessons while here

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome time. Your love of God is evident. Keep your heart soft before God as he leads you every day. Prayers, Sheriena

    ReplyDelete