Friday, December 30, 2016

I Arrived and I'm Alive!- My Journey in Honduras

Thursday December 29th:
I left that morning for the Kansas City airport at around 9 a.m. I had a lot of mixed emotions as I sat there waiting for my plane. So excited for this journey and adventure, but so terrified of being the adult and making it there safely. It was hard to leave, because my grandma had just been admitted to the hospital the day before and it felt like I should stay, but I couldn't. There is a strange feeling of being filled with people, yet feeling totally alone and not knowing a single person. I think there was about a dozen times I wanted to burst out singing, "A Whole New World" from Ariel, but I refrained.
My first flight was delayed by an hour which threw things bit off schedule. I had no idea how traveling for 15 hours could be so exhausting, but I did get a few naps on the plane! ;) I made it to Orlando, where I stayed on the plane and then went to Ft. Lauderdale, where I had a little over and hour layover and then my departure to San Pedro Sula began. I stood in line as people rushed by and asked me questions in Spanish that I could barely comprehend. I listened and used what little I remembered from my two years of Spanish Freshman and Sophomore year, and if I was clueless I managed to say, "Lo Siento, un poco espanol. No intiendo" or something in that variation. within another hour I was on the plane and ready to go!

December 30, 2016:
I have arrived! My flight got in early this morning, I made it through immigration, and met Adria and Job! We made it back to the village at around 4 a.m. We prayed and then I went to my mini apartment next to there house, to "sleep", though not much sleeping happened. Remember when you were a little kid and you were afraid of the dark, because you didn't know what was out there? I had that same feeling last night as I laid in bed and tried to sleep. I eventually fell asleep only to be woken up at about 6:30 by a loud squaking the scared me awake. I'm still not exactly sure what that was. I also awoke freezing, which supervised me, because I was in Honduras and I was wearing sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt and I was wrapped in a quilt. After falling asleep and waking up multiple times I decided to just get up, get ready, and organize my things a little bit better. I usually listen to music when I get ready, but this morning I was serenaded by some lovely sheep. :) Today is my first official day in Honduras! Part of me is ready for the adventure and part of me is very afraid, but God is good and He is already teaching me many lessons. One being that I should have payed more attention in Spanish class.
On the Plane ride from Ft. lauderdale I met this sweet elder lady who was traveling back home to Honduras. She spoke no English and I spoke very little Spanish, but we communicated and understood each other. I sat preparing for take off and looked over to see her head bowed and hands folded. I assumed she praying in Spanish, because I heard Dios multiple times and I know that means God. There was something amazing about that, because I had just finished praying while she was praying. It was amazing, because there we both sat, totally different, different languages, and yet praying to the same God and He heard and understood us both at the same time! It is so crazy to see God work in mysterious ways and I can not wait to continue to see how He works and what He teaches me over the next month. There's a special beauty about knowing absolutely nothing and relying totally on God to carry you through.
Thank you to everyone for all your prayers! I will keep you posted as often as I can and will try to post pictures!

Love,
Rebekah

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Rebekah,
    I do love you so very dearly and I am so happy for you! I am so excited to here about all the things you experience in full on this journey! Praying for you and a [tad] jealous of you :) Please do keep us as updated as possible but also don't forget to soak in as much as possible while you are there! Love you & can't wait to read about your next adventures!

    ReplyDelete