Saturday, December 31, 2016

Wow, Culture Shock!- My Journey in Honduras

December 30, 2016
Today was so many things. I just can not put into words what today was like. I have no words. My heart broke. It is continuing to break. God is breaking my heart. Everywhere I look I see a beautiful mountain, Plant, or sky filled with color and then I look down. I see trash everywhere. I see children crying and children with out shoes. I see people with torn and tattered clothing, houses that are falling apart. Places that people live that are far from livable by any standard, yet they live there. Children who wander the streets with out parents in sight. Streets that are dirty and not drivable. Paths that were once nive with stairs are now cracked and delopodated. People who need help, but refuse it. I met a lady today who has 16 children. 16. She is 50 and has 16 children and 7 grandchildren and they all live in the same small sod house with a broken up tin roof. That's 23 people in a house made for probably 5, at the absolute max, yet she refuses help.
It's hard to go anywhere with out seeing a stray dog. They are everywhere. Many families have 3-5 dogs, even if they can not provide for them, they keep them for security. Any that are found roaming around are so skinny you can tell they have not eaten an adequate meal in who knows how long. Job has warned me to stay away, becuase they will bite. Not all of them, but better safe than sorry. I want to pick them up and snuggle them, but here, dogs are not pets.It is sad to see, but that is how their culture works. If it's not a dog you see running around, there's a pretty safe bet that you'll see a chicken or multiple. They run and barefoot, hungry, children chase them to play or to steal eggs.
God broke my heart today. He is continuing to do so. I think He is breaking my heart so that there are no barriers between the love He has placed in my heart and the people of Honduras, so that the love can flow freely to all I meet. I pray that His light is shining to everyone  meet.
I just can not wrap my mind around everything. These people have little to nothing, yet the kids smile, laugh, and make the most with what they have. Something that is so simple to us is so incredibly to them. There are some beautiful people here. It is so hard to accept the fact that part of the reason everything is happening is because of the government and how corrupt the police are. There is no justice. The drug lords run the place and money is everyones god. It is hard to drive by an see military men dressed and armed, ready for someone to make a scene. Same with security gaurds. This has all been a huge cultural shock and I am sure it will continue to be.
In case I have not already given you enough info, here is what my day looked like:
I recieved a full tour of the farm and met many of the workers and of course all the animals (How much trouble would I be in if I brought back a baby sheep?).  After a lunch of tortillas and beans, we went to Puran, another small village in Singuatepeque, and checked in on people who Job and Adria have helped start gardens Many are tire gardens, meaning the seeds and soil are planted in a tire. After visiting the gardens, meeting new people, and taking a hike, we headed to get some more coffee (which is SO amazing here!), at HOPE Coffee, where I was able to connect to wifi and catch up with life in the United States( fun fact: People are ofended in you refer to the U.S. as America, because technically they are Americans too). Next we made a quick stop at a store and then stopped by Job's parents house, where I met some of his family and sang hymns with his mom. Such a lovely family! Then we headed to dinner where we had fried banana slices in some weird sauce. It ended up tasting so much better than I thought it would. I also tried a number of freshly picked, wild fruits including: Apple-bananas, Mandarins, papaya, and pure sugar cane. Day one was jam packed and I am ready to celebrate New Year's Eve here!

Prayer Requests:
Wisdom to teach little ones next week.
Adjusting to the culture and farm lifestyle
Health- I have developed and icky cold and my allergies are not diggin everything I'm encountering.
Safety- I am in very good hands, but there are things that can not be controlled. (Don't worry, I am fine, but it is just a precaution!)

Love,
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment