Friday, December 23, 2016

The Statue- My Journey to Honduras


I walk past this statue everyday on the way to class. It represents Jesus washing the feet of Peter. Jesus- the Prince of Peace, the one who came to die for all of mankind, fully human, yet fully God, washing the feet of a fisherman. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. He humbled himself to become a lowly servant. He came not to be served, but to serve and put others before himself. He came to show the world what true love looks like. He came to defeat the depths of hell. He came not to do the will of His own, but to do the will of the one who sent Him.
Is that not what we as believers are on this earth to do as well? To be servants and helping hands? To do the will of God and put our selfish agenda aside? Not my will be done, but yours Father. What ever it be let it be done and let it be done for your glory and yours alone. Let us break away from our selfish acts, tear down our pride and be your servants. You had every opportunity to leave us and to walk with those deemed important, but instead you talked with the fisherman, the tax collectors, the ill, and lame. You loved all of those that the world just loved to hate. The ones that life was not the most fair to, you loved them and cared for them. Instead of looking down on them you picked them up and lowered your self to be their servant.
If the Holy of Holys can bend down to help the poor, then a mere college girl can do the same. A girl who may be under qualified, a bit timid, a little too sassy, more than a little adventurous, and way to oblivious to what God is doing in her life. This girl whos heart breaks at the tiniest of sadness, who loves kids with all her heart and has a passion to make them feel loved and special. A girl who has a desire to change the world, but yet has an echoing voice that tells her if all the impossibilities. A girl who only wants to live loved and love those she meets.
That girl is me. In 4 days I will depart America and land in Honduras where this crazy adventure will officially begin. Everything I had wanted to do, but never thought able will be happening. My heart leaps with joy at the thought of finally meeting my host family and getting to know them more and experiencing the Honduran culture. My heart is also anxious and timid, because up until about 3 weeks ago, there were little to no obstacles in this plan, until I received notice form one of the head teachers at Destino Del Reino, that I would not longer be able to help at that school. There was some miscommunication and it was just not going to work out, unfortunately. I sat in my dorm confused and heart broken. "Why is this happening? Am I not suppose to go? What am I going to do now?" My faith grew weak, but also grew very strong. God is good. Something we should all remember. With in the the next two days I talked with the couple I'd be staying with and I was in contact with a different school. I turned out to be an answer to their prayers, because one of their teachers will be in America until the 2nd week in January and they were looking for someone to cover for him. So, instead of assisting in teaching I will be teaching a 4th grade class the first week or so while I am in Honduras and then helping with the 1st and 2nd graders once the teacher returns. The wonderful institution I will be teaching at is called La Providencia. La Providencia is an absolutely outstanding organization. They work with widows, orphans, and any who are oppressed- offering them education, medical treatment, and food. Their mission is truly to be the hands and feet of Christ. Check out their website: https://providenceworld.com/la-providencia/who-we-serve/
I am very much looking forward to working with this organization and to love on these kids and give them every bit of hope I can.
Wow. I can not believe how quickly this trip has come! It seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that I blindly ordered a ticket to Honduras with little to no idea what I was doing, but I sure am glad I have listened to God and I can't wait to see the rest of His plan for this trip unfold. I am so thankful to Job and Adria for opening up their home to me and for all their help, especially over the past two weeks with my endless questions. They are two great people who are doing great work in Honduras and I am excited to get to know them more.
T-4 days y'all. God guide me and keep my path straight and lit on this narrow road.


For updates while in Honduras:

  • Continue to check here
  • Add me on Facebook: Bekah Henderson
  • Add me on Instagram: raielle16 or Rebekah Henderson
  • Add me on Snapchat: bek161
  • Send me an email and I'll do my best to respond: rrhenderson16

No comments:

Post a Comment